The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. John 1:5
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. John 10:10
I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world. John 16:33
What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory—even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles? Romans 9:22-24
This past week alone has shown the darkness of the world we live in. It is overwhelming to think about all that has happened and what is to come. The world is fallen. It is full of darkness. Evil is real. It seems that everyday there is another tragedy of some sort- The Boston bombing, the West Texas explosion, the persecution of Christians in other countries, etc. It gives me such a heavy heart. I sometimes wonder if I can really do anything is these situations… can my faith in Jesus Christ make a difference in this world. And I realize… there is hope! The light does shine in the darkness! All of the sin in the world cannot overcome the power and supremacy of Jesus Christ. I really like the way that John Piper put it when he said the final argument for the righteousness of God in a world with so much evil and destruction is that this evil serves the revelation of God’s glory. That is, God’s just judgment of it and God’s gracious rescue from it display more fully the glory of God than if there had been no evil. Christians, it is so important that we stand firm on his promises and be a light in this darkness. Do not shrink back- now is the time to make a difference. How do we run this race with perseverance when it is so evident that the devil is trying to terrorize each of us along the way? We are guarded through faith.
John Bloom gives a list of promises to hold onto and believe:
- God forgives all your sins (1 John 1:9)
- God has removed condemnation from you (Romans 8:1)
- Your heart need not be troubled (John 14:1) by the demonic tribulations in the world for Jesus has overcome them for you (John 16:33).
- God will provide you sufficient food for your needs (Luke 12:24).
- God will provide you sufficient clothes for your needs (Matthew 6:30).
- In fact, every need you will ever have will be provided for you (Luke 12:31; Philippians 4:19).
- You can sell your possessions and give to the needy (Luke 12:33) because your Father will gladly give you the kingdom (Luke 12:32).
- Nothing will be impossible for you (Matthew 17:20).
- You can have peace in any storm of life (Luke 8:25).
- Even if you’re persecuted, hated, and even killed for Jesus’s sake, not a hair of your head will perish (Luke 21:16–18)
- You will never really die (John 11:26)
- You will receive eternal life (John 3:16).
- Nothing will ever separate you from the love of God in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:38–39).
- Every promise God has ever made to his people he will fulfill for you (2 Corinthians 1:20).
- If you abide in Jesus and his word abides in you, whatever you ask will be done for you (John 15:7; Matthew 21:22).
- The Holy Spirit will flow out of your heart like rivers of living water (John 7:38–39).
- You will never suffer the soul starvation or soul dehydration again (John 6:35).
- Others will believe in Jesus through your witness (John 17:20).
- God will cause ALL THINGS to work together for good for you (Romans 8:28).